- Sign on to the Declaration of Conscience jointly sponsored by the UUA and UUSC and then find a local action through the Social Justice Ministry team or its partners to make this real in San Diego. www.uua.org.
- Read the booklet Indivisible and talk to others about local action possibilities for change. www.indivisibleguide.com.
- Join local chapters of the ACLU or NAACP or Planned Parenthood to find ways to make a difference.
- Monitor your elected officials’ committee assignments and voting records; call their local offices to share your opinion on important issues.
- Join a book group for new information and discussion.
- Offer supportive messages to elected officials who are working across the aisle to ensure programs and policies are for all people.
- Come to services, let your needs be known, talk with a Lay Minister or someone on the Ministry team.
- Practice self-care...every few months, take a day or two off to do things you love, that nourish YOU.
- Spend time with people who encourage you, laugh often and play in nature.
- Lighting a candle, breathing deeply for five minutes and writing in a journal can help give
- some perspective.
- Create a playlist of songs that inspire you.
- Find reasons to express gratitude–write a list of people, experiences and situations for
- which you are thankful.
- Write two thank you notes a week
- Turn off the news for one hour a day and turn on some music.
- Remind yourself it’s okay to have limits.
By Brenda Garcia, Social Justice Coordinator for First UU Church:
Social Justice Action Alert: CAIR: San Diego chapter of the Council on American-Islamic-Relations Press Conference
CAIR: San Diego chapter of the Council on American-Islamic-Relations Press Conference
Tuesday, January 31, at 11 a.m.
7050 Eckstrom Ave, San Diego, CA 92111 for the press conference
This effort is a direct result of the growing anti-Muslim atmosphere and the groundswell of support from organizations and fellow citizens in defense of the civil rights of American Muslims. At the news conference, CAIR San Diego will share a list of community organizations that have already committed to joining this effort. “We urge community organizations, educational institutions, local government bodies, responsible corporations, and all people of conscience, to take a stand against this attempt to normalize Islamophobia.”
Stand For Sanctuary and Immigrant Rights Rally
Tuesday, January 31 at 12 p.m. at Senator Dianne Feinstein's office 880 Front St. San Diego, CA 92101
We will gather at city halls and mayors' offices to demand that our cities and towns protect immigrants by declaring themselves "sanctuary cities" and refusing to comply with executive orders that hurt our families and communities. Please join fellow MoveOn members and allies and attend these rallies. We are gathering to #StandIndivisible at the office of Senator Harris and Senator Feinstein to show them that we want them to lead the way in fighting for what is right.
We have an "interesting" four years ahead of us so why not become a beacon of love & light by joining the nationwide movement for progressive liberal religion and wearing a Standing on the Side of Love t-shirt? There are many styles and sizes available along with bumper stickers, lapel pins and more. At many events, vigils, protests, rallies and other actions you'll see your fellow UU's in their sunny Standing on the Side of Love t-shirts. You are hereby heartily invited to join in! Shop for Standing on the Side of Love gear or learn more about Standing on the Side of Love.
March with fellow UU's in Women's March on Washington in San Diego at 9am on Saturday, January 21st!
Want to march but can't go to Washington, march with us! A vivacious group of UU's will be meeting at the Horton Plaza Park (corner of 4th & Broadway - get directions) at 9 a.m. on Saturday, January 21st and we can all walk up to Civic Plaza at 9:30 a.m. for the Women's March on Washington in San Diego from 10 am to 12 pm. This march will be held in love and light of unity and inclusivity. We are representing on the West Coast in San Diego for all of those who cannot travel to the March in D.C. This is not an 'Anti Movement' this is a PRO movement. This is a Pro Peace Movement. Safety. Safe Space. Respect for our fellow human. We honor the system our country is run by but we are standing together to support Women. Please wear your Standing On the Side of Love t-shirt if you have one or other liberal-progressive/UU shirt to show solidarity.
Learn all about upcoming events, SUUN's activities and more!
If you would like to contribute to the SUUN blog with interesting UU-related stories, reports, event recaps, etc. please visit our Contribute the the Blog page.
The purpose of this blog is to share information, stories, articles and other items that are of interest to the UU congregations of San Diego. If you have an article to share, please send it to us!
Friend us on Facebook for more news and updates!