- Sign on to the Declaration of Conscience jointly sponsored by the UUA and UUSC and then find a local action through the Social Justice Ministry team or its partners to make this real in San Diego. www.uua.org.
- Read the booklet Indivisible and talk to others about local action possibilities for change. www.indivisibleguide.com.
- Join local chapters of the ACLU or NAACP or Planned Parenthood to find ways to make a difference.
- Monitor your elected officials’ committee assignments and voting records; call their local offices to share your opinion on important issues.
- Join a book group for new information and discussion.
- Offer supportive messages to elected officials who are working across the aisle to ensure programs and policies are for all people.
- Come to services, let your needs be known, talk with a Lay Minister or someone on the Ministry team.
- Practice self-care...every few months, take a day or two off to do things you love, that nourish YOU.
- Spend time with people who encourage you, laugh often and play in nature.
- Lighting a candle, breathing deeply for five minutes and writing in a journal can help give
- some perspective.
- Create a playlist of songs that inspire you.
- Find reasons to express gratitude–write a list of people, experiences and situations for
- which you are thankful.
- Write two thank you notes a week
- Turn off the news for one hour a day and turn on some music.
- Remind yourself it’s okay to have limits.
By Brenda Garcia, Social Justice Coordinator for First UU Church:
Learn all about upcoming events, SUUN's activities and more!
If you would like to contribute to the SUUN blog with interesting UU-related stories, reports, event recaps, etc. please visit our Contribute the the Blog page.
The purpose of this blog is to share information, stories, articles and other items that are of interest to the UU congregations of San Diego. If you have an article to share, please send it to us!
Friend us on Facebook for more news and updates!